Sunday, May 23, 2010

I'm Home!

Oh man does it feel good to be home - now if I could just sleep.  This has been a week that I don't want to repeat.  I've been dreading this week for a while now - my doctors decided that a complete hysterectomy was the best treatment for my problems the last couple of years.  It sounds good, but it has been a miserable week.  We went to town Wednesday morning and Jim & dad gave me a blessing - I'm so grateful for them both.  We headed to the hospital at 11:30 - surgery scheduled at 1:00 pm.  There was lots of prep to do and I should have run away then. It appears that I am hard to get an IV started on.  The LPN gave it one try, she brought in an RN who gave it a shot and the head RN was helping her.  Then the anesthesiologist gave it 2 tries, but at least he used lidicane.  He finally got the 3rd line in.  They rushed to get the rest of the prep done and off to surgery I went.   They said I would be awake for the epidural part, but the last thing I remember was putting my feet over the side of the bed onto a stool and that is it - I guess they figured out that I'm pretty sensitive to medicine.  I do remember seeing Seth in the recovery room and asking where Jim was - apparently right after he walked out the door.  It is all one big blur.  My first real clear memory was being wheeled back to my room and feeling an awful pain as the IV caught on some wires from construction and ripped out of my arm.  Fun right?  I just remember looking down and thinking - those white sheets would be hard to clean.  I fell asleep as they put another IV into my other hand.  After 2 days with that IV - it quit working and my hand is all puffed up.  Let's just say, I hope I don't need an IV for another 12 years.  When the spinal medicine wore off on Friday, the insisted on trying some pain meds and I spent most of the day throwing up.  I refuse to try them again.  Now I'm dealing with a headache - most likely, they say from the spinal medicine the put in.  Mom & Dad took me to their house around noon and Jim came and took me home after work.  I got here just before 9 tonight.  It sounds like all I am doing is complaining - the people at the hospital were great.  They didn't have a whole lot going on and the nurses are great.  I've decided I''m not good at this stuff - I'm the mom who is supposed to take care of everyone else, but I'm really glad to just be home.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I am glad you are home! I have been praying for you! I hope you take it easy! Glad your kids are older and can help! I hear those are hard to recover from....like the full 6 weeks they tell you. I hope your heal time is quicker! Love you!

Laura said...

That sounds like a crazy hospital experience. I'm glad you are home. Get feeling better soon!

Unknown said...

Oh Jill! How sad you had such an unpleasant experience! I'm so sorry to hear that! (my surgery was relatively easy and I'm SOOOO happy with the results)
I hope you feel better soon! :0)