Thursday, August 14, 2008

Seattle Vacation

I got back from Girls camp on Saturday, went to church on Sunday, work on Monday, and then we took off for Seattle at 7:00 on Tuesday morning. Whew!~ I'm tired just thinking about it. We had such a great time ~ I'll try to fill you in day by day. Tuesday was all about the drive. We were not in a huge hurry, and it took all day.
Wednesday was when the fun started ~ Go Mariners. It was really a fun game. We were in the nosebleed section, but it didn't matter. We enjoyed all 12 innings, yes I said 12 innings. The Mariners ended up losing, but that didn't ruin our fun. Oh, I almost forgot, the girls were on the "jumbotron" 3 times. GO ICHIRO!!! Here are some photos:





After the game, we headed to Alkai Beach ~ we being our family and 4 of my brothers families. We just enjoyed laughing and catching up with each other ~ and of course taking a few pictures.







Thursday we ran our tails off trying to see all the Seattle sights. We started at the Space Needle ~ this is the first time we shelled out the money to ride to the top. It was quite a sight, but a few too many people up there for me.



We rode the monorail to the Seattle mall. We didn't shop, just had lunch there and then tried to head to Pike's Market. Jim & I were both sure we knew the direction, but we took the scenic route. Our feet were tired, but we did finally get there. I don't know why this place fascinates me so much but it does. We saw them throw the fish, smelled all the flowers (along with some other funky smells), and got Jim his favorite treat ~ a Carmel apple.


We then made a mad dash clear across town to take the underground tour. It was not all they said it would be. There were some funny stories about old-time Seattle and the characters who built the city, and some cool stories about how it was built. We did see a little too much of the shady side of the city ~ we will leave it at that.

Friday some of the boys headed to the Boeing Flight Museum. The girls and I opted to see Snoqualmie Falls and just relax a little. We hit the Costco to get food for the reunion. Then my brother Todd and his wife Radene hosted a fantastic BBQ at their home. We all just relaxed and enjoyed spending the rest of the night together. The day was great, but hard to know that Dad was having surgery that day and we were all trying to have fun. Luckily all went well and he was home before we were.

Saturday morning we headed for the ferry and Orcas Island. We won't talk about the ferry ride and how we watched my family load 2 different ferries and sail off. We won't talk about how we had to wait over 6 hours, because of the intelligent Washington state ferry worker who put us in the wrong line, and then wouldn't listen when we tried to question him. We won't talk about how I went and gave the ferry agent a piece of my mind. Do I sound bitter? The kids were good about it and we still enjoyed the ride once we finally got on the boat.





We just enjoyed visiting, swimming, Mt. Constitution, and the annual photo shoot on Sunday ~ of course we ate constantly too.


Sunday night we had to head for home. We said our goodbyes ~ I had to cry while I said bye to Jake (my nephew who headed to the MTC on Wed.) We pulled and all nighter and made the long drive home so that we could be ready for fair week ~ that's the next blog I need to catch up on. If you have read this whole thing, you must be really bored. But thanks! We had a great time and the kids are already saving coins for the next Seattle adventure. Thanks Todd & Radene ~ we loved it!!!

1 comment:

gbpckrs said...

Sounds like one of our family's favorite vacation. Shawn's sister lives in Everett. We were supposed to go last summer, but our life took a different turn and we missed having a vacation. Hopefully next year though. It is beautiful and so glad you had a wonderful time!