Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Hummers & Blooms

I have these 2 cheap little hummingbird feeders on the back porch every year:


I have had 5 to 6 birds through the year & fill them every week or so, but the middle of August was a new story:

It is hard to get a good photo of the cute little guys here with my camera, but they came in the big groups - I think we counted 17 on the day we took these pictures.  They came so fast that we were filling both feeders every day...sugar bucket was emptying fast.

I just love to watch them out my kitchen window...that is when they are being nice.  We had a couple of bullies again this year. 

They are just so tiny...makes me wonder how they fly south, but they are gone again & I took the feeders down on Labor Day.

My other favorite summer activity has been watching these bloom.  The flowers had a good year...no frosts until just a couple of nights ago.  I'm afraid the snow in tomorrow's forecast will be the end of my gardening, but that is good because the weeds have taken over since harvest started.


I'm really not ready for the birds to leave & the flowers to freeze, but what can you do when you decide to build a home at a 6500 ft. elevation.  Gotta love Idaho!!

No comments: