Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What a sight!

It must have been quite a sight - poor Seth is the only one with a view.  O.K., last night when we got home Shelby told us that Seth & I were supposed to take the truck down to the ranch.  For obvious reasons they need to borrow our truck - no problem because it just stays in the driveway most of the time anyway.  So at 10:30 p.m. Seth threw on his boots and we headed out the door.  I just put a jacket on and ran out the door - big mistake.  It is calving season Jill, be a little more prepared - DUH!  We got out on the road and saw the lights out on the feedyard.  Grandpa obviously had something going on - Grandma was out there with the 4-wheeler too - a cow had calved - of course not on the nice warm straw pile - that would make sense!  Seth ran right out to give a hand & I followed a few minutes later, remember Seth put on his muck boots & I was still wearing these:

Note the lack of traction!
Yup as we were trying to help get a cow to the barn to try and convince her she should take care of her recently born offspring, I came across one of these:


By the way - have you ever googled "cow poop"?  Not pretty - anyway, when the fresh cow poop is on the snow it is pretty slippery.  Enough said.  You can just imagine how quickly I was flat on my back  right on top of the freshly deposited pile.  My loving son just shook his head & I'm pretty sure some of the cows were laughing!  Believe it or not, I really do like helping with the cows.  Although after nights like last night - I'm not sure I'm any help at all!
It's just not as glamorous as they make it in the movies!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I have been catching up....
1. Caved in roof....SUCKED!
2. Kids learning to drive....SUCKS!
3. Slipping in cow poop and LANDING in it.....SUPER SUCK!

:-)

Jill said...

LOL - like a hoover Amy!