Friday, July 16, 2010

The other day........................

You know that song?  "The other day.. I saw a bear....a great big bear....., remember?  The other day came tonight.  My heart is still racing when I think about it.  Shelby & I are the only ones home tonight; Jim & Mara Mae are both working, Seth and Megan are at BASADI.  We decided to go for a 4-wheeler ride because I wanted to check out my favorite huckleberry patch.  We drove from the house up to the campground and then up the Gravel Creek Trail.  We drove to the top of the hill and then I decided to go another mile or so.  We were really enjoying the weather & it is beautiful right now.  Lots & lots of wildflowers.  I was  telling Shelby how much I wished I had brought my camera.  We took a little side trail & saw several deer.  Just as we got back to the top of the hill, we both saw something brown bounce across the trail.  My first thought was a bear, but I've never seen one in the wild, except in Yellowstone.  We drove slowly up to where it crossed the trail and looked down the hill about 20 ft. - sure enough, the cutest little bear cub was sitting there.  I really wanted to stay and watch him, but we both knew we needed to leave.  We quickly took off & headed down the mountain with our hearts racing.  I really wish I could have stuck around to watch him play, but I was not taking a chance of running into his momma!  Wow what an experience - really awesome, but scary!!!

P.S. - lots of green huckleberries on the bushes!
No Dad - I did not take a gun, but I think I will next time we head up in the hills, yikes!

No comments: