Sunday, December 6, 2009

December 6th

When I sat down in sacrament meeting today I took a look at the program and it hit me - today was December 6th.  I was hit instantly with a flood of emotion and the tears flowed.  I'm sure the ward members thought I was crazy.  It is actually what I should consider a lucky day - let me explain.  17 years ago at that very moment my baby boy was being blessed by his dad.  That was a wonderful moment in time as I'm sure most of you would understand.  One year later ~ to the day, Jim & I were in the surgery waiting room at Primary Children's Medical Center.  Seth was in the middle of his open-heart surgery to have his heart defect repaired. That was what I consider both the worst and best days of my life.  I cannot begin to explain the feelings that surface when I even think about waiting to know if my little boys heart would beat again.  There is a local family that has been facing a similar situation to ours.  I have watched their blog and followed their story these past few weeks.  Their little boy was born on Seth birthday - October 15th, but he passed away the day after Thanksgiving.  Although not easy, it has been incredible to watch their faith and acceptance of the Lord's plan for their little one.  Knowing that they are sealed as an eternal family is a huge comfort.  It has been tough to watch them and wish they would have the same results as we were blessed with.  It has made me really think about how blessed I am to still have all four of my children, especially my favorite son.  The priesthood is an amazing power and I know Seth is still here because of the blessings given to him.  I'm grateful the Lord saw fit for us to raise him and despite his parents, he has become a pretty incredible young man.  All four of my kids are pretty awesome and I know I'm a lucky mom.  I don't usually blog about such things, but I have had a bit of an emotional day today and felt like I should share.  The emotions get stirred up every year on this day, but I guess it is good to remember and count blessings.  It helps me to keep thing in perspective especially during the holidays.

4 comments:

Emmio said...

Thanks for the post! I love that story. You could say I'm pretty happy that he's still around :)

Unknown said...

Sorry I wasn't a better friend and know that you were going through all that - you were blessed though and I am grateful for that. You have some pretty cool kids and I am happy to see that you have had the life you always talked about! I remember being at your home one long weekend and watching Doris Day/Rock Hudson movies and it's fun to see that romance and happiness comes in all forms! Not just the Hollywood versions!

jjstoor said...

Thanks Nicki - I think you are a great friend - life happens and fast. We really should get the roomies together for a reunion. I love this blogging thing, it's fun to be part of each other's lives even if it is only on a computer screen. I remember that weekend and it makes me miss you all!

Unknown said...

Thank you, I just found your blog and let me tell you, it this post touched me significantly today. thank you!! Thank you for your words, for your friendship, and for posting Stephen's button. I am so happy for your family and I feel like I'm not only cheering him on at the basketball game, but cheering him on in LIFE. He is incredible... and so is your whole family. You all just make me smile. Thanks for sharinng!