Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Rasberry bars

I can't even remember where I saw these now - someday (after harvest) I will have time to cook again. If any of you have time to try these out - let me know - I thought they looked yummy.

Raspberry Bars

Combine:
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup butter, chilled
1 egg, slightly beaten

Mixture should resemble coarse crumbs. Reserve 2 cups flour mixture. Press remaining mixture into ungreased 9x13 pan. Bake 8 minutes at 350.

While the crust is baking, combine:
1 - 12oz. pkg. frozen raspberries
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
3 T. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Heat in saucepan until thickened (sort of like making jam). I let them come to a boil and slow boil them for about 1 minute. Spread over crust, and sprinkle remaining flour mixture over top. Bake 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool slightly, and top with glaze.

Glaze:

Mix about 1 cup of powdered sugar with some lemon juice until you get a good drizzling consistency. Drizzle over top. (The original recipe also calls for 1 Tbsp. of melted butter in the glaze - I usually do not add this, but I did for the fair). Cool completely, and cut into bars. Then quickly take them to a party before the urge to eat the whole pan completely overtakes you! :

No comments: