Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Harvest 2009

Harvest seems to consume my life these days. I'm not sure if many of my friends really know what it is I do this time of year, so I thought I would show you some pictures of this never-ending harvest.

Grain fields already cut:

Combines & trucks on the way to town:

My view of the main elevator out the front window of my office:

One of Randy's trucks coming on the scale:
The probe I use to collect grain samples:

This is where the grain ends up after I vacuum it out of the truck with the probe:

my sample room:


Barley:

Wheat:


Trucks lined up to dump in the pit:

The line getting a little longer - oops, they backed up the leg:
this is a view of the elevator from the other side ~ you know it's a good harvest when we have to start a ground pile:
These pictures were taken on Sept. 30th ~ the snow storm was on it's way so we stayed open as long a possible. Josh hung from the roof and installed a light so that I could keep probing trucks after dark:

We stayed at the elevator until about 10:00 - Colby kept the north elevator going until midnight. The rain started just before 10:00. Several of our growers managed to get their wheat finished up that night - thanks to neighbors combines and trucks. It was neat to see them working so hard to help each other out. They are a good bunch of people & the guys I work with at the elevator have overworked themselves to try and help out. Willis, Kent, Colby & Josh ~ you need a big pat on the back ~ I have 126 hours on this payroll and they work more hours than I do!

This picture is of the elevator the next morning can you see the big snowflakes?:

No comments: